Ministering: Mrs Kemi Oyedepo
God’s intention for marriage and what to do to experience marriage.
Note: Marriage is good. James 1:17. Marriage is created to add beauty and colour to our lives. Everybody wants the best in marriage by looking forward to the best days of our lives. Marriage is not a trial and error institution. It was signed by God to work
Marriage is taking someone as a husband or wife. A successful combination of a man and woman in holy wedlock. It is not design to disintegrate or come apart. Matthew 19:6. Marriage should never be entered into carelessly. But convicted in your mind and have peace on your mind.
Marriage is two sided. Horizontal and vertical. Between the spouses and between man and God. Psalm 89:34.
The purpose and goal of a Christian marriage
1. To provide help. Mutual responsibility for each other. Marriage is not a one sided deal. There should be help from both sides. The wife should help the husband and vice versa. ECCl 4:9. To enjoy greater productivity in all things. Your job is not to announce your spouse weakness. You are meant to help improve your spouse weakness. You can ask the Holy Spirit to show you what to do to help your spouse improve. Gen 18:22
2. Child bearing and child training. Malachi 2:15, Gen 1:28. To bear godly children and you cannot raise godly children if you yourself is not godly.
3. For companionship and friendship. Proverbs 27:9. The deep friendship aspect should be in marriage which is what last the marriage. You must not make everything official, let there be friendship. (If possible be a student of your spouse to study them)
4. Spiritual growth or reinforcement. You need to be able to sharpen yourself spiritually. 1peter 3:1. The goal of marriage
5. To illustrate the marriage between the church and Christ. The husband is Christ and the wife is the church. It should be an evangelism kind of marriage as a way of drawing people into/unto the church and Christ. Our marriage should be able to draw men to Christ. Meaning my marriage should glorify God.
How to build a marriage edifies.
1. Wisdom. Proverbs 24:3. Proverbs 4:7. Wisdom is knowing what to do and doing it to provoke the right result. James 3:17. Isaiah 33:6.
2. Understanding. Proverbs 23:3. Comprehension concerning a matter. Understand God’s purpose for marriage and understand your spouse. Take time to understand who your spouse is first. Learn about temperament. Particularly your spouse temperament. Stop doing copy and paste on your marriage. Understand each other.
3. Knowledge. Proverbs 23:3. It is gathering of information and applying it. Proverbs 19:2. Isaiah 32:3. Gather information about marriage from books, seminars and conventions like this. You need to keep gathering information. Actually, understanding is power.
4. Obeying the rules. The rules are to maintain peace in the home
Rules in the home
1. Husband love. Col3:19, Eph. 5:25. You are to love your wife as Christ live the church to the point of giving His life for the church. If your wife fears you or afraid of you, you are not loving her correctly.
2. Wife Submit. Col 3:18. Eph. 5:26. You submit with everything. Submission begins from the heart and it will flows out naturally if it is truly from the heart.
3. Agreement. Amos 3:3.
4. Unity. There must be house Unity. Eph 4:3. Ps. 133: 1-3
5. Be sober and be vigilant.
How do I maintain a godly marital edifies
- By prayer
- By studying the word of God. 2Timothy 2:15
- Working by the spirit. Romans 8:6. Galatians 5:22-23. Marriage is a spiritual house.
- The fear of the Lord. Psalms 111:10. A deep reference and respect of God in your home.
- Love is important but much more important is the fear of God. You can’t build home on feeling but on the fear of the Lord.