“We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life”. – Rom. 6:4
Why Must I Undergo Water Baptism?
- Christ commanded that we undergo Water Baptism as an essential part of our total redemption.
- Whosoever believes and is baptized shall be saved – Mark 16:15-16
- Teaching new converts is not enough, they are required to be baptized in water for their total redemption – Matt. 28:18-19
- Water baptism is requirement for fulfilling all righteousness.
- John the Baptist objected to baptize Christ, but the response of Christ showed the significance of water baptism, saying ‘do it now for it is important for me to fulfill all righteousness’ – Mat. 3:13-15
- Water baptism empowers us to walk in the newness of life
- Therefore, we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. Rom. 6:4
- For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. – Galatians 3:27
- Water baptism destroys the dominion of sin over our lives
- Through the mystery of water baptism, sin has no more dominion over our lives – Rom. 6:14
- From scriptures, water has proved to be a medium for signs, wonders and diverse miracles. These include:
- Healing of all manner of sickness and diseases, as in the pool of Siloam – John 9:1-8
- Cleansing of leprosy as in the case of Naaman in the river of Jordan – 2 Kings 5:9-28
Who Qualifies for Water Baptism?
- The redeemed of the Lord – Mark 16:15-16/Acts 8:34-35
How are We Baptised?
- By immersion – Rom. 6:4/Col. 2:12
Examples of those who were baptized in water as they surrender their lives to Christ.
- 3,000 people on the day of Pentecost – Acts. 2:41
- The new converts in Samaria – Acts. 8:12
- The Jailer and his household – Acts. 16:0-4
In conclusion, water baptism is a mystery that empowers believers to fulfill all righteousness and walk in the newness of life. Therefore, expect to be set free from every unwanted habit and for the new you to emerge, as you undergo water baptism by immersion, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Remain Ever Blessed!
Jesus is Lord!
David O. Oyedepo
Faith Tabernacle Canaanland, Ota – Lagos